I am very impressed with Success@Arithmetic. The children have made accelerated progress, grown in confidence and enjoyed their lessons.
Eilis Siddall, Head Teacher, Friarage Community Primary School, N Yorkshire
Success@Arithmetic is a light touch calculation-based intervention for learners in Key Stage 2 and Key Stage 3 who have difficulties with arithmetic proficiency and need support to improve their understanding of number and written calculation skills. It helps them to make faster progress and to catch up with their peers through a mastery approach.
- provides targeted use of the Pupil Premium
- supports the new National Curriculum for Mathematics
- promote mathematical thinking and understanding
- develops secure and fluent calculation methods through carefully staged progression
- promotes a mastery approach
- develops the mathematical subject knowledge of both teachers and teaching assistants
- provides detailed evidence of progress and impact.
Two programmes are available to schools
Success@Arithmetic: Number Sense
For pupils in Years 3 to 5 who need support to understand the number system and develop fluency with number facts.
For pupils in Years 5 to 8 who need support to understand and develop fluency with formal written methods.
How Does it Work?
Success@Arithmetic trains a lead teacher and one or two teaching assistants together. The lead teacher conducts a diagnostic assessment and selects a series of Success@Arithmetic steps to form a tailored programme of up to 24 sessions, adapted from detailed plans that the teaching assistant delivers to an intervention group of up to three pupils.
The sessions use number rods, bar modelling and written methods to build a complete mathematical picture, developing pupils’ arithmetical fluency.
The teaching assistant starts working with their group of pupils straight after the first training day. Then the training runs alongside the implementation of the teaching programme, in that way the Teaching Assistant is trained topic by topic.
Watch the video below to find out more…
Over 8,000 pupils in Years 4 to 11 have been supported by Success@Arithmetic in 1,500 schools.
- They made an average Number Age gain of 15 months in 4 months – almost 4 times the expected progress
- 92% of pupils achieved national expectations at the end of their school year, despite not being originally predicted to do so.
The use of base-10 alongside the standard written method for subtraction is nothing short of inspirational.
Lesley Dixon-Dawson, Bramley St Peter’s CEP School, Leeds
Training and Professional Development
- Delivered locally by an accredited ECC Trainer.
- 2½ days for the lead teacher and the teaching assistant.
- A strong focus on mathematical subject knowledge.
- Develops effective pedagogical approaches.
- Promotes partnership between teachers and teaching assistants to raise achievement.
- An optional school visit by the Trainer.
- Opportunities for further accredited academic study.
Resources and Support
- Interactive and easily adaptable session plans.
- Extensive resources including number rods.
- Online guidance and downloadable resources.
- Access to the ECC data system, providing detailed analyses of impact and children’s progress – view sample reports here
- Phone and e-mail support from ECC and the Trainer.
See an example Step plan from a Success@Arithmetic: Number Sense Topic here.
See an example Step plan from a Success@Arithmetic: Calculation Topic here.
Each local provider determines their own charges to schools depending on local circumstances. The charge for 2016/17 for one lead teacher and one teaching assistant will be in the region of £990. Further charges will apply if a second teaching assistant is trained at the same time.
How do I Access the Training?
Schools can access the Success@Arithmetic programmes from local ECC providers. Find your local provider here.
How can schools prepare for and manage Success@Arithmetic?