Supporting the Development of a Mastery Approach to Mathematics
Every Child Counts now offers whole school professional development packages to support the development of a mastery approach to mathematics directly to schools. Our National Advisers have a wealth of experience in providing professional development which is based on relevant and recent mathematical research and practice.
Each training session is bespoke and will be planned after consultation with you so that it is matched to the needs of your school and staff.
We can offer sessions in all areas of primary mathematics including:
- Place value
- Addition and Subtraction
- Multiplication and Division
- Number sense
- Reasoning and problem Solving
Other sessions might focus on the management and delivery of the curriculum, such as:
- What is Mastery?
- Using Variation in mathematics teaching, including both procedural and conceptual variation
- Differentiation through Support and Challenge
- Developing intervention in the mastery context
- Diagnostic assessment
- Developing mathematical language and talk
All of our sessions for schools are underpinned by NCETM’s Five Key Ideas of Mathematics Mastery: coherence; representation and structure; variation; fluency and thinking mathematically. The sessions will include
- Links to recent and relevant educational research
- Opportunities to reflect on how this might be implemented in the classroom
- Practical activities to try out in the classroom
3-4 sessions can be delivered in one training day to up to 30 people for £600 + £20 per person
1-2 sessions can be delivered in half a training day to up to 30 people for £400 + £15 per person
1 session can be delivered in a twilight for up to 30 people for £250 + £10 per person